Starting a restaurant comes with a ton of different costs. The costs range from purchasing the equipment, rent and utilities, licenses and permits, food costs, and many other miscellaneous expenses. Therefore, to reduce the costs, you can purchase used restaurant equipment. To help you, here’s everything you need to know about sourcing used restaurant equipment.
Pros and cons
Buying used restaurant equipment has its pros and cons, and it includes:
- You can bargain the price with independent sellers
- It’s possible to get good used equipment from restaurants that have closed.
- Some equipment is still under warranty, so you don’t have to pay for repairs if it breaks down.
- Buying used restaurant equipment is legitimate, and there are many places to buy.
Most of the warranties are no longer valid, making you responsible for repairs in case of breakdown.
- Repairs can be more expensive than the initial buying price
- You have a limited selection of equipment to choose from compared to new equipment
- Mostly there is no history of ownership or repairs.
What equipment is worth buying
Used equipment worth buying include:
- Gas equipment
- Oven and ranges
- Tableware such as dishes and glasses
- You can buy small appliances such as blenders, kitchen utensils, pans, and pots.
- Fryers: You can buy used ones because they have a long lifespan.
Equipment you should avoid buying include:
- Fridges and freezers since you are not sure if they will meet health code standard
- Repairs can be expensive.
- Ice Machines: You should avoid buying used ones to prevent cross-contamination that can cause a breakdown or get shut down by the health inspector.
When buying used restaurant equipment, there’s a lot to consider. So, be very careful to get the best for the prosperity of your business.
Categorised in: JWJ Restaurant Equipment